Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Carbs for breakfast?! Yeah mon!

I  don't believe I mentioned but Stu is from Jamaica and if you have ever been there, you know that breakfast is not traditional American breakfast. They eat salt fish, callaloo, dumplings, yams, and boiled banana all on the same plate... (lots of carbs which I love), and the bulk of most dishes contain pepper- not black pepper, but the ever so hot and flavorful scotch bonnet pepper. This is no problem for me because I love all things spicy. So when Stu surprised me on Saturday morning with this flavorful mash I was NOT complaining! It was basically boiled potatoes with the skin on, mashed up with raw red onion, scotch bonnet pepper, scallion, salt and a "likkle" bit of almond milk. It is a heavy breakfast depending on how much of it you eat and I admit- the two of us polished off this entire bowl! He said its his take on alloo choka, which is a West Indian dish. I am one lucky girl because I have a man who loves (and know how) to cook!

No comments:

Post a Comment